Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tamar Kaprelian "Sinner or a saint" review


The sad reality of reviewing music is that 90% of what you get to review is either
a. shallow
b. un-original
c. bad
d. All of the above

I must admit, upon getting a CD of "Sinner or a Saint" I had my doubts. But when I started listening I was pleasantly surprised.

The CD opens with the song, "New Day." The song is uplifting yet sprinkled with a pseudo-depressing mood. It was written during a dark time in her musical career. This song lays out the foundation of the rest of the album, painting a picture of a girl who's been forced to ride the roller coaster we call life.

The second song on the album, Sinner or a saint, is probably my favorite. It opens with a catchy punk-esque guitar riff that is soon welcomed by the full band. Tamar's voice harmonizes beautifully with the instruments. I couldn't resist bobbing my head to the song as I wrote this review.

What I think I liked best about this album was that Kaperlian doesn't strike me as being the same as every other pop musician. Her music doesn't flat out say that she's had a "bad Romance" or that "We are who we are. " She's more artistic with her lyrics, being vague and forcing his listeners to really pay attention to understand her emotion. She sings with a passion that says she's really felt pain, this is real, this isn't some kind of pre-packaged corporate puppet-this is a real person.

In the end, this is a very enjoyable album. Tamar Kaperlian demonstrates lots of potential for the future. I look forward to seeing what else she can bring to the music world. Her voice, her lyrics, and the way the instruments compliment her and each other make this an everyone should give a chance.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments: