Friday, January 7, 2011

Tech Review: iPod Touch 4th generation

Almost every year Apple computers releases an update for their iPod line-up. This year I was looking to update my 2nd generation iPod Touch. My 2nd generation had two years in use. That was my first iPod and I used it to its fullest potential. After two years the battery was not holding as much capacity and I was looking for an update. The 4th generation was the answer.


I bought the new one the day after Christmas and it came 2 days later. I was very exited to get my hands on it and start playing around with it. I got the 8G model and I also got a case with it because I would like to keep it clean and dent-free. It brags a 960 by 640 Retina Display, a 720p HD rear facing camera, Face Time, and the fast processing of the A4 chip. After over a week of exploring every feature I can safely say that this is a great product. Here are some reasons why I did and didn't like it.


1. I love the 960 by 640 Retina Display. This was not the reason I bought it but it has soon become my favorite feature.


2. I take video classes at school and love to make films so the 720p HD video recording feature was the gem of the Touch. Not only can you shoot in HD but you can edit and export in HD as well. Just for fun I made a fun little video in HD and I was able to shoot, edit and export a 30 second video, in less than 5 minutes, complete with graphics and transitions.


3. Along with the camera a microphone is included in the Touch. I was very excited to find that the quality of sound was great. With this I can record audio and use Voice Control to control my iPod. And my favorite part is that many applications such as I am T-Paine use the mic to change your voice and it is a fun and useful feature.


4. One part of using an iPod Touch as a personal computer is the fact that the user needs to switch between applications fast and effortlessly. Multitasking on the iPod Touch is a easy and smooth process when switching between tasks. It will also keep tasks running so you can still listen to Pandora while downloading that email presentation and update your Facebook status all at the same time without slowing down your processing speed that much. The only problem is that ending the tasks requires the user to manually shut down the tasks by deleting them in the multitasking menu and they accumulate quickly.

5. Their are not many downsides that I found, and I'm generally nit-picky, with the Touch. I have found that not having a GPS chip is inconvenient especially since I like to know where I am and where to go while on the road or on travel. It is also a disadvantage because the maps application only loads maps when it is connected to Wi-Fi. Maybe a 3G cell phone based information model, like the iPad would be a good option.

6. I found that the buttons were off-center and hard to press especially with a case. I guess this is something that you get used to. I did however like the individual volume buttons instead of the rocker in previous models.

Overall I love the new iPod Touch. And I would give it a 9.5 out of 10. It effortlessly stood up to my demanding tests and its will work well for anybody with an iPod Touch. I found the transition to the newer model, natural. It is worth every penny.

No comments: