Saturday, October 3, 2009

New desktop technician

RHAM High School has recently hired a new desktop technician to work with computers in the building. He goes by the name of Ryan Delmastro. I was fortunate enough to catch him at a time he wasn't busy early last Friday in his office. So, I gave him an interview about him being here.

Ryan started working here on September 14th. He found the job on a website called, "CTreap.net," "It's kind of like a portal where all of the Connecticut school districts post jobs, whether it's a teaching position, an administrative position or support."

Ryan works as a desktop technician which he descibes as, "a mix between IT technician & hardware/software support. Most of it is really related to the laptops." He told me how it's motherboard issues mainly that he deals with. He explained to me how teachers are often moving their computers from room to room and they're constantly disconnecting & reconnecting the cabling. Most of the problems come from all the disconnecting and reconnecting of the cables.
Ryan shares room 313 with Hector in the library. He explained to me that Hector usually isn't in the room so he often has the room to himself. "He's in and out of the office," he says, "he usually just comes to pick things up, he's based in the middle school now."

Lastly, I asked Ryan about what got him to work in this field of technology. He explained, "I was first exposed to computers in high school... It was mainly when they started intergrating computers in educational settings." He then told me how in 1998 he started using computers for research purposes. "Once I got a handle on navigating the internet I needed to know how it worked. After high school I got an associate's degree in computer sciences at Rivers Community College, and then I got a bachelor's degree from Eastern Connecticut State University."

Mr. Delmastro seems to enjoy his new job here at RHAM.

No comments: